National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
The mission of NIH’s National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) is to improve dental, oral, and craniofacial health. NIDCR accomplishes this mission by:
- Performing and supporting basic, translational, and clinical research;
- Conducting and funding research training and career development programs to ensure an adequate number of talented, well-prepared, and diverse investigators;
- Coordinating and assisting relevant research and research-related activities among all sectors of the research community; and
- Promoting the timely transfer of knowledge gained from research and its implications for health to the public, health professionals, researchers, and policy-makers.
Interest in Diversity
Research shows that teams with members from diverse backgrounds are more likely to generate innovative ideas than teams made up of members from similar backgrounds. Recruiting scientists from underrepresented groups is essential if NIDCR is to realize its mission and strategic plan. The Institute is committed to enhancing the pool of grant applications from people from underrepresented groups, fostering mentoring relationships, and offering other forms of support as scientists rise to senior faculty and leadership positions.
NIDCR relies on several communication channels to attract and retain a larger proportion of people from underrepresented groups and to raise awareness about diversity-targeted programs. Staff members attend national scientific conferences and visit universities to advise students and scientists at all career levels about research training and career development, and research support (grants and funding). NIDCR also engages scientists through Twitter, LinkedIn, and the Diversity & NIDCR website portal.
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Parent F31 - Diversity)
- Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Administrative Supplements)
- NIDCR Mentored Career Development Award to Promote Diversity in the Dental, Oral and Craniofacial Research Workforce
For more information on NIDCR’s interest in Diversity see: http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/careersandtraining/diversity/diversity-and-nidcr.htm
At NIDCR we aim to cultivate a future generation of dental, oral, and craniofacial researchers as diverse as the world around us. There is much work to be done, but the payoff is clear: inclusion leads to innovation. I look forward to seeing many innovative projects from this next generation of researchers, and to continued, science-based improvements in our nation’s oral health.